day 20

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. - Isaiah 43:2  

God's promises.

What are some of God's promises? This morning I was reading Savor, by Shauna Niequist. She wrote about Advent is the permission to not fake cheer and merriment. Jesus' birth is the fulfillment of a promise for God, but this December, we are still waiting for Christmas. 

 Some verses reminding us of God’s promises:

Isaiah 41:13, For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

Deuteronomy 28:9, If you keep my commandments of the Lord your God and walk in his ways, the Lord your God will set you high above..."

Isaiah 54:10, Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,” says the LORD, who has compassion on you.

John 16:33, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Isaiah 26:3, You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.

James 1:5, If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

Right now M and I are in a season where there is no promise for our exact situation. We don't know when or how it will work out. I will have hours (sometimes minutes) where I feel sad, then angry, then feel rejected and betrayed. And mostly just broken-hearted. I've had moments like this before. But these are different. We are all going through different seasons, but none the less hard struggles and circumstances. 

The verses above... they are my anchor. God's words, his truth bring me back to what I do know and I can count on, because right now, the truths I believe in, and the truths one of my girls believe in are very different. God's words offer life, and the other offer the experience of living life without the hard parts... Which, is that really living life? Is that really a truth? I have my opinion on that one, I'll let you decide your own. 

Comments

Popular Posts