"Namaste"



When a yoga class is coming to a conclusion, the teacher closes class with the term, "Namaste." Because the word is Sanskrit, and many of us have only heard it mentioned in a yoga class, and typically is offered of the bowing of ones head, it throws people. What am I bowing to exactly, or why am I saying the word Namaste?

Namaste is just a form of greeting one another. In the western world, I have yet to meet someone that didn't say some form of hello and/or goodbye before they parted ways. If someone did, we would think they were being rude. Well, this would be the same with Namaste - which is used at the beginning or ending of conversation.

Namaste is a deeper greeting. I compare it to the person that says, "Hello, how are you doing? And really want to hear how you are doing. More often then not, "hello, how are you?" really means hello and I am going to assume you are great... So - it is also a form of respect. And then it goes deeper then that. Broken down in Sanskrit, it is defined as I bow to you... I'm leaving a bit of my ego at the door. My life force is equal to yours.

Hold up? That just got a bit weird... maybe, or maybe not. In Genesis 2:7, "God breathed the breath of life into man." That is when man became alive. That does not make me god, but it does mean that God is why I am even alive. And that goes the same for each of us. And if you are a Jesus follower, and have studied God's Word, you know that the whole Bible is a story of His love for us. Jesus came to earth, to die for each of us... "Whoever believes in me, just as the scripture says, will have rivers of living water." John 7:38

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son..." John 3:16 God loves each of us the same. He offers each of us mercy, grace and relationship. Why would I want to live any differently then that? So when someone offers a Namaste - they are offering to let their ego and agenda get out of the way for a few minutes - to respect and honor the time you have together. Because you are worth it.




Comments

Popular Posts