this week in meals

Sunday and Monday lunch: Spaghetti and cheese bread sticks
Monday supper: general tso chicken* and fried rice
Tuesday supper: roast beef*, noodles and mashed potatoes with gravy
Wednesday supper: home made pizza night
Thursday supper: taco soup with fritos
Friday: frozen pizza or left overs
Saturday: meeting friends in Kansas City

*general tso chicken recipe. I quadruple the sauce for us.

*roast beef. I try to buy the arm roast when they are on sale because I really like them. First I sear the meat. I put a glub of olive oil in my pan and then rub sea salt, freshly ground pepper and thyme all over the roast. With the heat on medium I put the roast in to sear it and just stay near by so I can keep turning it until it has been seared on all corners and sides.

While the meat is searing I fill my crock pot with the rest of the ingredients.
2 cups beef broth (broth or bouillon cubes work)
1-2 cup(s) water enough that the roast is between 1/2 and 3/4's covered
1/3 c. soy sauce
1/3 c. cooking wine
5 cloves garlic (minced)
salt and pepper

Once the meat has been seared I put that along with all juices from the pan in as well. I leave it on high for several hours and then turn down to warm or low.

Once the roast is ready, or I am back home to finish supper prep. I get my potatoes going and then drain the juice from the crockpot into a med. sized pan to make the gravy and noodles. (I just cover the meat so it stays warm.)

I add 1 -2 cups of water and then turn up to a boil. Once the juice is boiling I add my noodles. After they are ready (Follow directions on the bag) I turn the heat down to medium and then add flour slowly. I added not quite 3/4 c. stirring almost constantly and when it is worked in I just adjust the heat a bit so the juice will thicken to become gravy. Once it is gravy I turn it to low and finish the mashed potatoes.





Comments

Popular Posts