a sloppy joe - my favorite recipe.

I grew up eating sloppy joes. I love them. I remember watching my Mom mix the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard in her tupperware measuring cup many, many times. However, my dear husband does not share the same affection for the sloppy joe, and the version I grew up eating are way too sweet for his taste. So, over the years, I have experimented with different canned and homemade varieties, and this one seems to be the most pleasing. Even my pickiest eater will eat them.


sloppy joes
(original recipe from country home April 2008)

-1 1/2 lbs. hamburger
-1/2 onion, chopped
-1 small red sweet pepper, chopped
-1 carrot, shredded
-1 14 oz. can organic fire-roasted diced tomatoes
-1/2 c. tomato paste (1/2 of a 6 oz. can)
-1/4 c. water
-1 tablespoon wheat germ
-1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
-1 1/2 tsp. hot chili powder
-1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
-1/2 tsp. garlic salt
-sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
-*1/4 c. Gates Barbecue Sauce (optional)

-pepper jack cheese, slices
-onion rolls or whole wheat hamburger buns

In a large skillet, cook meat, onion, pepper and carrot until brown. Drain off of fat. Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, and remaining ingredients, except the extra sea salt, pepper and barbecue sauce.  Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 5-10 minutes. Add the last ingredients and heat until desired consistency is reached.  Serve on buns with slices of cheese (and pickles are good too). 





Comments

  1. I would go vegetarian but I could never give up sloppy joes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee, hee... I have too many things I don't think I would want to give up to go vegetarian. Did I see you are from North Dakota? So am I. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts