basic (and yum) muffin recipe.

Luke has been requesting muffins since the week school started. Finally this morning I pulled out my handy-dandy "everyday food recipe index 2003-2008" and found the recipe I knew I had somewhere, just where... I wish I had all the magazines, however, I didn't discover "everyday food" until the sugar cookies in 2006 (May maybe?) I'm so glad I hung on to them. 


better than the basic muffins
"everyday food" May 2008

-1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
-2 large eggs
-1/2 cup milk
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla

-2 cups all-purpose flour
-3/4 cups sugar
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt

-optional mix-ins: blueberries, cherry & pecan, chocolate chips (1 - 1/2 cups)

1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter and flour a standard 12 cup muffin tin, tapping out the excess flour.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together butter, eggs, milk and vanilla. Set aside. In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients; make a well in the center. Add wet mixture to the well. Using a rubber spatula, gently stir ingredients just until batter is moistened (do not over mix; a few lumps are fine). About half way through stirring it together, add in your mix-ins.

3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean.  About 15-20 minutes. Loosen muffins and remove them/tip them out from muffin tin and onto a cooling rack.

Muffins are best the day of, but can freeze for up to three months. To freeze, after the muffins have completely cooled, place in a resealable, freezer plastic bag.

Another possibility to help with prep. Combine the dry ingredients, and keep in a resealable freezer plastic bag (1 quart) in the freezer. I would label so you know if it is a single or double batch in case you prepare for a larger baking session.


Comments

Popular Posts