Today marks the beginning of Lent.



Today is Ash Wednesday, marking the start of the Lent season for many Christians. Lent is a period of 46 days before Easter and is a time of self-examination. A common practice of Lent is to fast (give up)  something, which is supposed to help a person's focus, and to recognize the Lord as their provider and sustenance. 


Growing up I only understood this as a season practiced by my Catholic friends. I think the main thing was that Friday we had fish for school lunches. It wasn't until I was much older, did I realize that others took part as well, they just did not use the official "terminology" to describe this period of time-just calling it a fast. 


So, this year I am joining in, I am giving up caffeine. For this means coffee and diet coke with Dr. Pepper. And less money spent at Caseys, our local convenient store. And since Mat and I just started Financial Peace University - good timing. One less expense to record.


Any one else taking part in the Lent season?

Comments

  1. Yes, we're fasting from meat in our meals... but we are still having fish... and we 'break the fast' once a week (a different version of the tradition). It helps our two boys (2 and 4 months) not miss out on nutrients, and helps us maintain the discipline the other 6 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! (And I checked out your blog - cute kiddos! :))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts